General Thoughts on iPhone 3G

by Tony Chung on September 8, 2009

I visited Hong Kong last week and was haunted the entire time by a desire to just give in and shell out $500+ USD for an iPhone …and it didn’t help that people all around me were using the device left and right.

So… I got one on my last night there.

iPhone 3G

Needless to say, I am totally content with my decision.  I purchased an unlocked 8GB iPhone 3G model (unlocked meaning I can pop any SIM card in and can use the phone pretty much anywhere in the world on any network). I’ve been using the first generation iPod Touch for two years already, so I’m already totally acquainted with the interface.  Here’s a quick pros and cons list on the phone:

Pros:

• Totally scalable. Because there are so many developers all over the world passionate about Apple and the iPhone, there are literally thousands of applications built for the iPhone (kinda like Firefox).
  • No better way to surf the net on-the-go. If you’ve ever used Safari on an iPhone or iPod Touch, you know damn well there’s no better mobile browser out there.  Simple and awesome.
  • All-in-one and all good. With most all-in-one electronic devices, the applications all end up being mediocre at best.  Kinda like a restaurant that sells Korean, Indian, and Greek food.  But the iPhone is a true exception.  Phone, SMS, internet, games, everything works seamlessly.

Cons:

• Price. The price is steep for an unlocked iPhone, and if you want to bind to a network, you get a cheaper locked phone but you’ll be paying a chunky amount every month for the service.  As always, the decision to go with Apple will leave your wallet in tears.  But IMO it’s worth the investment if you’ll be fully accessing its features.

Your thoughts?

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Andrew September 9, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Welcome back! And how fitting that the first one back is about the iPhone, lol. Years in the making :-)

Tony Chung September 9, 2009 at 9:55 pm

Lol had to be man! You know how it is with me and using iPods/iPhones as a form of currency measurement 😉

Skegody October 11, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I got the BlackBerry Storm few days ago and I hate it! So I want to switch to Iphone 3G or Iphone 3GS. But I have to cancel my account, and that costs about $200 at Verizion I think.. What can I do to get the Iphone 3G without having to pay $250 or any other ideas I could do to stop using BlackBerry Storm and switch to Iphone 3G/3GS?

________________
unlock iphone 3g

April April 5, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Tonyyyy!
Here are my general thoughts on the Apple iPhone 3G. I've had my iPhone 3G for about 2 months now. I honestly do love it and it hasn't given me any problems…except the battery life is complete crap! I don't mean to “hate” on it, but I find myself working around my phone's battery life every day….for instance…beach trip last week. Had to pack the car charger that I don't go ANYWHERE without. Charged it the whole trip there (1 hour) and when I got on the beach, I was already down to 91% battery life and was completely dead by the time I left the beach (I only stayed a few hours..) It's extremely frustrating. You would think that Apple could make an iPhone with better battery life. =/

tommysan1 August 16, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Apple 3g has battery level id problems due to apps running on background not having been totally deleted by safari. Verify your battery life before damage to phone. tg

tommysan1 August 16, 2010 at 7:17 pm